CIRCA 1826 - PRESENT
The actual Shubenacadie Waterway was left after the Ice Age receded from this part of North America over 10,000 years ago. In 1826, work began to connect Halifax Harbour to the Bay of Fundy using a series of locks and canals.
Completed in 1861, the canal was soon closed in 1871. Today only one of the original nine locks are functional, while three of them have been restored.
25 years ago, the Shubenacadie Canal Commission was formed to oversee and further promote the Shubenacadie Canal System. Lost Cod is pleased to be donating a portion of sales from our Shubenacadie Canal collection to the Commission to help further that goal.
Located next to one of the restored operational locks, the Fairbanks Centre today features a scale model of canal lock mechanisms.