Sea Nymph

SEA NYMPH BRAND

HALIFAX, NS

CIRCA 1865 - 1970

THE SEA NYMPH BRAND GREW OUT OF THE SMITH FAMILY INTERESTS THAT STARTED AS A COOPERAGE IN 1865.  THE ORIGINAL BUSINESS OF MAKING BARRELS FOR FISH EXPORT EXPANDED TO THE IMPORTATION OF SALT FOR CURING THE FISH.  

AFTER THE ORIGINAL N.M. SMITH COMPANY WENT BANKRUPT, A.M. SMITH WAS FORMED IN 1917.  WITHIN THIS NEW COMPANY, THREE DEPARTMENTS EXISTED - IMPORT, EXPORT & DOMESTIC.

IT WAS WITHIN THE DOMESTIC MARKET THAT THE SEA NYMPH BRAND WAS FORMED. PRODUCTS UNDER THE SEA NYMPH BRAND INCLUDED BONELESS COD, KIPPERED HERRING, CANNED MACKEREL AND OTHERS.

WITH THE NATIONALIZATION OF THE COD FISHERY IN NEWFOUNDLAND IN 1970, THE SUPPLY OF CODFISH FOR SMITH DISAPPEARED AND THE COMPANY CLOSED.

THE A.M. SMITH WHARVES WERE LOCATED ON THE SITE OF THE MARITIME MUSEUM OF THE ATLANTIC.

  • Visa
  • MasterCard
  • Amex